I’m notorious for finding recipes in magazines and adding them to my rotation of healthy eats. I found this recipe for Eggplant Steaks and immediately added the ingredients to my shopping list. My obsession with eggplant started with Eggplant Parmigiana at Italian restaurants but has since evolved into healthier versions of this purple vegetable. I made this dish and was oh so pleased with how it turned out.
Give it a try, you’ll like it! Enjoy…and don’t forget to COMMENT & SUBSCRIBE!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 medium-size eggplant, sliced into 3/4-inch thick rounds
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried
- Optional garnish: fresh basil sprigs
Heat broiler to 500°F. In medium-sized skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Sautee onions until soft, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, chickpeas and broth; bring to boil. Cover and simmer 5 minutes. Meanwhile, brush eggplant steaks with remaining olive oil, season with salt, pepper and chopped basil. Place on foil-lined baking sheet; broil 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve with stewed chickpeas. Garnish with fresh basil springs.
Makes 4 servings.