Let’s face it, eating a healthy diet isn’t always as convenient as we would like. Sometimes, you’re too busy or too tired to cook. Sometimes, you just don’t feel like it. In situations like these, the fast food drive-thru seems like a good option. And it can be…especially since so many fast food chains are offering healthier menu choices. But don’t be fooled…not everything that’s advertised or perceived as a healthier choice is. Especially if it comes in a disposable bag from a fast food joint.
Here’s the scoop…there are healthier menu items available from fast food restaurants. Subway, Wendy’s and even McDonald’s all offer, and highly publicize, grub for those of us who are health conscious. But you still have to do your homework. It’s a good idea to plan ahead so that you know what you can order that won’t blow your diet. Plug foods into a calorie counter, reference a fast food “cheat sheet” or keep a list of healthy fast food options readily available for when you’re in a pinch.
I wish I had taken my own advice. Today’s my lazy Sunday so I went to grab some quick dinner. Jack in the Box was close and they have a drive-thru. My eyes immediately focused in on the Chicken Teriyaki Bowl. The menu board photo of rice, veggies and grilled chicken looked fresh and appetizing. How bad can it be right? The answer is…REALLY FREAKIN’ BAD! After finishing off the bowl, I went to add it to my food diary (a piece of my advice that I actually do follow). My mouth fell open when I saw that the Chicken Teriyaki Bowl from Jack in the Box is 692 calories…that’s not a typo.
To save you some time (and calories), I went on restaurant websites and compiled a list of “healthy” fast food. I put the word healthy in quotes because when you don’t make your food at home, you have no idea what’s actually in it or how healthy it really is. But here are a few options that won’t totally blow your diet:
- Fruit n Yogurt Parfait (167 calories/2g fat)
- McDonald’s Hamburger (280 calories/10g fat)
- Grilled Chicken California Cobb Salad (280 calories/14g fat)
- 6″ Veggie Delight (230 calories/2.5g fat)
- 6″ Turkey Breast (280 calories/3.5g fat)
- order any sandwich as a salad and save lots of calories!
- Chicken Soft Taco (190 calories/6g fat)
- Fresco Ranchero Chicken Soft Taco (170 calories/4g fat)
- Mini Quesadilla (190 calories/9g fat)
- Jr. Hamburger (230 calories/8g fat)
- Small Chili (220 calories/7g fat)
- Sour Cream & Chives Potato (320 calories/4g fat)